The European Union supports cooperative projects between neighbouring countries. A support programme called "Focus Innovation" was especially created for German-Dutch projects which are directed towards economic and innovative cooperation in the border region. The Euregio Rhine-Waal aims to support cross-border cooperation between institutions, companies and organisations with this programme. Both commercial and scientific projects are supported within the framework of „Focus Innovation“.
"Focus Innovation“ projects support cross-border cooperation and networking. Initiatives and projects in the following areas are especially set to profit from these cooperation networks:
- Technology and knowledge transfer between research and development (R&D) and regional companies;
- Development of cross-border networks and cooperation of SMEs;
- Development of cross-border networks and cooperation in the labour market and concerning qualifications;
- Development of cross-border networks and cooperation in tourism.
On average, these projects have a length of 1,5 to 2 years.
Who can apply?
German and Dutch municipalities, companies, transnational cooperations and organisations can apply for funding.
General terms of eligibility
- The project has to initiate a long-term cooperation, which should also be continued after the funding period.
- The project has to further German-Dutch contacts in the field of commerce, education or social affairs. The project's cross-border nature has to be evidently clear.
- It must be verified that at least one German and one Dutch partner are equally involved in the planning, financing, organisation and implementation of the project.
- The number of project participants or the amount of Germans and Dutch set to profit from the project has to be proportional.
- The project has to be implemented within the working area of the Euregio Rhine-Waal.
- The project has to contribute in the general sense to the aims of the EU support programme INTERREG IV A.
1. All project costs have to be pre-financed by the applicant on a quarterly basis at the least.
2. The project can only be funded up to a maximum of 50% within the framework of the „Focus Innovation“ programme. The maximum sum for funding is 25,000 euro.
3. All other costs must be financed from regional funds or from one's own resources. Regional funding has to consist of contributions from both the Netherlands and Germany.
4. The Euregio Rhine-Waal is to help the applicant search for co-financiers in the neighbouring country.
Do you have a good idea for a cross-border project and do you think it is eligible for support within the framework of the "Focus Innovation" programme? Then you should contact the Euregio Rhine-Waal. We will be happy to help you develop your undertaking and help you search for partners and co-financiers. In addition, the Euregio Rhine-Waal offers support for project monitoring. Applications can be filed throughout the whole year (as long as funds are available).
You should however contact the Euregio Rhine-Waal beforehand to discuss your project proposal. A decision regarding an application will be made after a detailed examination within the organisation. Your project may be able to commence within a few months.